BikeHub.co.uk is a joint initiative of the Bicycle Association and the Association of Cycle Traders via the Bike Hub levy scheme. The objective of Bike Hub is to generate funds from within the cycle industry to support the future of cycling in the UK.
Running since 2003, the Bike Hub levy is voluntary, paid by the majority of UK bike shops and suppliers. About £400,000 is raised each year with contributions supporting cycling participation projects across the UK. The highlights include:
- Longest running industry-wide levy ever in the UK.
- Contribution and engagement by both suppliers and IBDs for over 7 years
- Scheme probably the most successful in Europe and the USA/Canada (Bikes Belong of the US depends on manufacturers’ donations)
- Annual income now running above £400,000 each year, with total contributions over £2 million to date
- The scheme covers the whole of the United Kingdom
- The Bike It project, seed-funded by Bike Hub in 2004, now has over 50 full-time officers working in over 600 schools each year
- Bike Hub’s iPhone app started as a bike shop finder and journey planner, is now world’s first ‘cycle satnav’
For more details visit:
Bike Hub levy - Bikehub - http://www.bikehub.co.uk